Every year one student studying the MCh (Orth) Dundee course is awarded the Ian Smillie Class Award of Distinction
This class award of distinction is named after the late Professor Ian Smillie, who gained a worldwide reputation in knee surgery and the role of the meniscus, and is awarded annually to the student who has attained the highest overall mark for the year.
Professor Smillie was one of the first ‘super-specialists’ in Orthopaedic Surgery and far ahead of his time with his contributions going far beyond his expertise in knee surgery. In 2007 Professor Smillie was posthumously awarded the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine’s (AOSSM) highest honour - entry to the ‘AOSSM Hall of Fame’ for his significant contributions to the specialty of Sports Medicine, which is now on display at the Department of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery alongside the reflex hammer Professor Smillie used throughout his career. It is therefore fitting that his name lends itself to the outstanding MCh (Orth) candidate each year.
Left:Professor Ian Smillie's AOSSM Hall of Fame Award; Right: Professor Smillie's actual reflex hammer.
Roll of Honour
- 2019-2020 This year's Ian Smillie Award is dedicated to all affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 2018-2019 Dr Mohammad Abubakr Riaz
- 2017-2018 Ganapathy Koneri Murthy
- 2016-2017 Pritam Kumar Agrawal
- 2015-2016 Chinmaya Sharma
- 2014-2015 Calvin Mathias
- 2013-2014 Suman Sundarraj
- 2012-2013 Ian Persad
- 2011-2012 Manish Kiran
- 2010-2011 Saif ul Haq Aman
- 2009-2010 Amit Kumar
- 2008-2009 Balamurali Krishnan Loganathan
- 2007-2008 Satish Kanan Rajankulum Ganesan
- 2006-2007 Rajesh Garg
- 2005-2006 Roy Abraham
- 2004-2005 Chacko John Manakkalathil
- 2003-2004 Rajib Basu
- 2002-2003 Arpit Jariwala
- 2001-2002 Syed Aftab Ahmad
- 2000-2001 S. Krishna Kumar
- 1999-2000 Sudhir Reddy
- 1998-1999 Rakesh Rajput
- 1997-1998 Raju Uppala
- 1996-1997 Sharadaumar Agarwal
- 1995-1996 Manhal Nassif
Heads of Department of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery
Left to right: Professors, Ian Smillie (1967 - 1977), George Murdoch (1977 - 1986), David Rowley (1988 - 2007), Rami Abboud (2007 - 2019), Mr Arpit Jariwala (2019 - Present).