Honorary Doctorate Degree for Dr Parag Sancheti
The University of Dundee bestowed an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws honoris causa upon Dr Parag Sancheti at Summer Graduation ceremony on Friday 21 June, 2019.
Dr Sancheti, a practicing Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, is the Chairman and Managing Director at the Sancheti Institute for Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation and Joint Replacement Centre. He is the visiting consultant for MCh (Orth) Course at the University of Dundee, UK, from which he himself graduated from in 2003. His special interest lies in Total Joint Replacement surgery of the hip and knee, knee arthroscopy, pelvic and acetabulum fractures, orthopaedic academic research and most importantly sports injuries.
Dr. Sancheti has more than 80 Publications in National and International journals to his credit. Many of his scholarly works have been included in medical textbooks as a part of the teaching curriculum. He has himself authored a book entitled ‘Clinical Research Made EASY’.
He has won social awards including the Rashtra Seva Puraskar, Best Chapter Award, MITCON Achievers Awards and nominated as one of the ‘Icons of Pune’ by the Lokmat Group for having contributed for the development of the city.
In 2013 Parag was conferred with Fellowship, Without Examination, from the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) for recognition of his services to orthopaedic training and education.
Left: a moment of contemplation from Dr Sancheti during the graduation ceremony; Right: Chancellor, Dame Professor Jocelyn Bell Burnell, conferring the Honorary Doctor of Laws to Dr Sancheti, after Professor Rami Abboud’s Laureate regarding Parag’s achievements.
Professor Rami Abboud, Head of the Department of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery and MCh (Orth) Course Director, at the University of Dundee stated:
“It was an honour and a privilege for me to give Parag’s Laureate prior to the Chancellor bestowing his honorary degree of Doctor of Laws. I cannot think of anyone who more richly deserves this accolade than Parag. He is a remarkable individual and a true champion of the MCh (Orth) Dundee course and the University and City of Dundee.
Our paths first crossed in 2002 when he arrived in Dundee to begin his study and his dedication to learning and research was apparent from the outset. After graduating in 2003 I’ve watched his career progress to where he is today. He has become one of the leading orthopaedic lower limb arthroplasty and sports injury surgeons in India and beyond as well as a great leader and respected scholar.
Despite his busy schedule and heavy commitments, Parag makes sure to take time to travel to Dundee on an almost yearly basis and at his own expense to lecture on our MCh (Orth) course and to provide invaluable guidance to our MCh (Orth) candidates regarding opportunities and career prospects post‐graduation. He is always available and willing to help and offer job opportunities to our graduates.
Parag has enriched lives clinically and steered careers academically, in short he has made a positive difference in this world. His humanitarianism towards treating patients in India who cannot afford surgical intervention is as remarkable as it is admirable. Parag is the most humble person I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing and I’m proud to call him my close, trusted, and loyal friend.”
Dr Parag Sancheti stated:
"When I got the letter from University of Dundee informing me that I was going to be awarded the honorary doctorate degree 'Doctor of Laws - honoris causa' I was overwhelmed. This was indeed a big honor for me. The ceremony held on 21st June 2019 was very grand and I felt overjoyed and lucky to receive the award at the hands of Chancellor Dame Professor Jocelyn Bell Burnell. The whole feeling of sitting in the same hall, where I received my graduation degree 17 years previouslywas a nostalgic feeling. As I saw the students receiving their graduation degrees I was filled with very fond memories of my MCh (Ortho) course in 2002 – 2003 at the TORT Centre in Dundee.
It was a great pleasure and an extremely humbling experience to accept the coveted award and deliver my acceptance speech in front of 500 students and their families and friends. I dedicate this award to my parents, my teachers and all my patients, because of whom I am what I am today. I was really happy to interact with graduates during the Garden Party. These youngsters have inspired me.
I am indebted and thank all the staff of University of Dundee, Chancellor Dame Professor Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Vice Chancellor, Professor Andrew Atherton and especially Professor Rami Abboud for bestowing this honor on me. The memories of this award will be cherished forever".
Dr Parag Sancheti’s Achievements
- Member of Court, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS)
- Dean of the PG College at Maharashtra University of Health Sciences
- Member of Court, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Pune
- Member of Court, Symbiosis International University, Pune
- Godfather: AOSSM – APKASS Travelling Fellowship 2018
- President: Maharashtra Orthopaedic Association (MOA)
- President: Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS)
- President: Indian Association of Sports Medicine (IASM)
- President: Poona Orthopaedic Society
- Secretary General: Asia Pacific Knee Society
- Founder Member and Educational chair - Indian Society of Hip & Knee Surgeons (ISHKS)
- Scientific Committee Member: International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- Chair: Basic Sciences & Research Committee - Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA)
- Executive Member: Asian Federation of Sports Medicine (AFSM)
- Treasurer and Membership Chair: APKASS (Asia Pacific Society for Knee Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine)
- Secretary: Indian Arthroscopy Society (IAS)
- Editorial Board: Indian Journal of Orthopaedics
- Secretary: Pune Orthopaedic Society
- Visiting Professor at McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada