UDOTS at Winter Graduation
It was a bitterly cold day but fortunately the sun shone down on this year’s University of Dundee Winter Graduation ceremony, on 14th November 2019.
New graduates, proud parents, family members and delighted friends all flocked to Dundee’s magnificent Caird Hall to attend and celebrate this year’s Winter Graduation ceremony. The winter graduation allows students whose courses finished after the summer to receive their awards.
A total of 20 students, studying 5 different courses, at the University Department of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery (UDOTS) graduated, whilst 4 other students won University prizes:
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
- Raed Alzahrani. Research topic: Diagnosis of hallux valgus by using a foot pressure platform as an alternative to radiological images. Supervisors: Professor Rami Abboud, Professor Tracey Wilkinson, Mr Fraser Harrold.
MASTER OF RESEARCH SPORTS BIOMECHANICS & REHABILITATION
- Marc Foster. Research topic: A comparison of the forces absorbed by custom-made and commercially available mouthguards in a skull and mandible headform. Supervisor: Dr Tim Drew.
- Jack Frankish, In Abs. Research topic: Analysis between muscle forces and jumping ability. Supervisor: Dr Weijie Wang.
- Narendra Mahara. Research topic: Effect of different running speeds on foot posture index and plantar pressure distribution in runners. Supervisors: Professor Rami Abboud, Dr Graham Arnold.
- Cinthuja Pathmanathan, In Abs. Research topic: Biomechanical analysis of plank test and balance test and implication in rehabilitation. Supervisor: Dr Weijie Wang.
- Damien Ramsden, In Abs. Research topic: Does anterior pelvic tilt affect the muscle activation sequence during gait? Supervisor: Dr Tim Drew.
MSc MOTION ANALYSIS
- Abhishek Choudhery. Research topic: Comparison of muscle forces and powers between genders during walking. Supervisor: Dr Weijie Wang.
- Ahmed Ghazwani, In Abs. Research topic: Comparison of muscle forces and powers between walking and jogging in the lower limbs. Supervisor: Dr Weijie Wang.
- Hazrat Noor, In Abs. Research topic: Pilot study to optimize the heel height of the shoes with rigid ankle foot orthoses. Supervisor: Professor Rami J. Abboud.
- Benita Olivier (with Distinction), In Abs. Research topic: The effect of non-stance limb orientation on the biomechanical parameters during the single leg squat. Supervisor: Dr Weijie Wang.
- Michael Vickers, In Abs. Research topic: An evaluation of machine learning combined with an inertial measurement unit based system to analyse the upper limb during front crawl swimming. Supervisor: Dr Tim Drew.
MSc ORTHOPAEDIC & REHABILITATION TECHNOLOGY
- Dennis Assibey. Research topic: Design, development and evaluation of a device to assess the recurrence of clubfoot. Supervisor: Professor Rami J. Abboud.
- Shan Du, In Abs. Research topic: Analysis of relationship between muscle force and standing long jumping. Supervisors: Dr Weijie Wang, Dr Graham Arnold.
- Feng Gu, In Abs. Research topic: Gait analysis for the mirrored walking and implication in rehabilitation. Supervisors: Dr Weijie Wang, Dr Graham Arnold.
- Guohua Li, In Abs. Research topic: Comparison of muscle force and joint movement in the lower limbs during walking in the patients with hip surgery and healthy people. Supervisor: Dr Weijie Wang.
- Zidikheri Msechu, In Abs. Research topic: Effect of posterior leaf spring and carbon composite ankle foot orthosis on gait and functional mobility of hemiparetic stroke patients: a randomised clinical trial. Supervisor: Dr Tim Drew.
- Peiqi Ni, In Abs. Research topic: Analysis of the relationship between balance ability and brain electrical activity and implication in rehabilitation. Supervisor: Dr Weijie Wang.
- Majdi Sheikh, In Abs. Research topic: The development, manufacture and evaluation of a bespoke prosthetic leg cosmesis. Supervisors: Dr Tim Drew, Mr Donald Campbell.
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN ORTHOPAEDIC & REHABILITATION TECHNOLOGY
- Crystal Dumoga. Research topic: Design of a finger stretch reflex device. Supervisor: Dr Tim Drew.
SIR JAMES BLACK PRIZE - SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
- Erin Frizzel
(This is an annual award presented by each School of the University to the final year undergraduate student making the most outstanding contribution to research and scholarship in their field)
HUGH CAMERON AWARD IN SURGERY - SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
- Claire Waugh
SIR JAMES MACKENZIE PRIZE - SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
- Aurelien-Xuan Bahuet
SPORTS AWARD - BLUES & COLOURS
- Jasmine Aikman (Hockey Women)
Not only would we like to extend our congratulations to our own UDOTS Graduates but to each and every one of the hundreds of University of Dundee students who received degrees, diplomas and doctorates and who successfully felt the tap of the Dundee bonnet over the two days! The traditional Dundee bonnet (cap) is used each year by the Chancellor, Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell, to symbolically confer degrees upon our graduates. It was first used by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in 1971 in her capacity as the first University Chancellor from 1967 - 1971.
Left: Narendra Mahara, Abhishek Choudhery and Dennis Assibey after the graduation ceremony; Right: a clearly delighted Raed Alzahrani on the steps of the Caird Hall.
Mr Arpit Jariwala, Director of UDOTS, stated:
“I still remember the excitement and the huge sense of achievement of my own graduation day and I hope our graduates all enjoyed the experience, the occasion, and in becoming our valued Alumni. I congratulate them all and hope they build on their work and experience in UDOTS and UOD and achieve success and keep collaborating with us as Alumni. I am so pleased that Abhishek is already helping UDOTS with the Gait Lab meeting and the workshop next year in January 2020 in Ahmedabad. Thank you Abhishek. I would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate our three award winners for their outstanding achievements.”