Ten out of Ten for UDOTS!
Over the last 12 months, the University Department of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery (UDOTS) has published 10 research papers in peer-reviewed journals.
The research covers topics on orthopaedic surgery, tumour surgery, mechanical assessment, motion analysis, sports, and social behaviour, two of which relate directly to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mr Arpit Jariwala, Director of the University Department of Orthopaedics & Trauma Surgery (UDOTS) commented that he was immensely proud of his colleagues for continuing to undertake research, supervise students and be able to share the important findings of their research studies widely despite the COVID-19 chaos. He added that it was amazing to see that despite UDOTS being a small department it flourishes in regard to research and the ability to publish almost one paper every month over the last year. Mr Jariwala added that it was wonderful that UDOTS continued to benefit from the Theil cadavers for its studies courtesy of CAHID, something that is unique to the University of Dundee. He also felt humbled to see the building collaboration between UDOTS and the NHS orthopaedic department which is hugely beneficial for both departments.
- Investigating Mirels scoring for upper limb metastasis: should the cut-off for prophylactic surgery be different? - Hoben KA, Downie S, Adamson D, Maclean JG, Cool P, Jariwala AC.
- COVID-19 related delays in diagnosis and intervention for patients with malignant bone tumours-recommendations for future pandemic planning - Hoban K, Tiang K, Downie S, Jariwala AC.
- Changes in deep neck muscle length from the neutral to forward head posture. A cadaveric study using Thiel cadavers - Lin G, Wang W, Wilkinson T.
- Cycling injuries requiring orthopaedic intervention during the first COVID-19 lockdown period: a multi-centre SCottish Orthopaedic Research collaborativE (SCORE) study - Faulkner A, MacDonald DRW, Neilly DW, Davies PSE, Ha TT, Stevenson IM, Jariwala AC.
- Effect of wheelchair configurations on shoulder movements, push rim kinetics and upper limb kinematics while negotiating a speed bump - Gawande M, Wang P, Arnold GP, Nasir S, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
- Improving day surgery rates of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery in surgical units not dedicated to performing day surgery: a retrospective observational cohort study - Lucocq J, Khalil M, Roberts L, Dalgleish S, Jariwala AC.
- Intimate partner violence (IPV) in male and female orthopaedic trauma patients: a multicentre, cross-sectional prevalence study - Downie S, Kania L, Madden K, Bhandari M, Jariwala AC.
- Kinematic 3-D motion analysis of shoulder resurfacing hemiarthroplasty: An objective assessment method - Jariwala AC, Kiran M, Hyndman I, Johnston LR, Wang W, Abboud RJ, Wigderowitz CA.
- Virtual orthopaedic teaching during COVID-19: Zooming around Scotland - has e-learning been a resounding success? - MacDonald D, Neilly D, Stevenson IM, SCORE Collaborators (Jariwala AC).
- Volar plating: functional recovery of the pronator quadratus - Porter P, MacInnes A, Drew TS, Wang W, Abboud R, Nicol G.